Saturday, February 17, 2007

What is Missions?

One of the members at my church, who has been a missionary overseas said that I needed to pick up the book The Great Omission by Steve Saint. I've only read a few chapters, which usually are short, and so far I have enjoyed the book. I recommend it to anyone else thinking about missions/ecclesiology. The remarkable thing that I found was its not primarily about missions. Now, those who have read it would be say, "Did he read the same book?" But, before my reading comprehension is questioned, let me explain what I mean.

The main question I believe that Steve Saint is trying to answer in this book is, "what is ecclesiology?" Now, he actually says it this way, "What is missions?" But, when we look at his answer it really comes down to ecclesiology. Missions is to him fulfilling the great commission by "making disciples and teaching them everything that Christ has commanded them." (My summation of his answer) This sounds very similar to the mission of the church. In fact, I believe that it IS the mission of the church. Therefore, it is an ecclesiological question. But, I believe that missiology is a subsection of ecclesiology, but I digress.

The question that I have is this: Is this the way that we conduct ourselves in our churches, mission trips or everyday life? When we go on short-term mission trips, how can we encourage this type of obedience? Do we encourage this in our churches? How can we?

Through Christ,
Dougald

No comments: